In partnership with Devex
The global crisis provoked by the COVID-19 pandemic has shone a spotlight on the importance of resilient economies and societies in a way no global institution has ever managed to do. The pandemic has highlighted the fragility of many jobs – and markets – across the globe and turned everyone’s attention to the importance of cooperation beyond borders and politics.
This three-part thought leadership series of online events explored how we build resilience in the economies and societies of developing nations, through the recovery from the crisis.
Event one: Building resilience in times of disruption: Promoting long-term investments through the DFI model
This event looked at how the DFI model can help developing nations create resilient economies and societies by investing long-term and flexible capital to support businesses through the crisis and beyond to recovery.
- Jean-Paul Adam, Director for Technology, Climate Change and Natural Resources Management, U.N. Economic Commission for Africa
- Yasemin Lamy, Deputy Chief Investment Officer for Catalyst Strategies, CDC Group
- Vipul Parekh, Co-founder of Big Basket and Chief Marketing Officer, Big Basket
- Raj Kumar, President and Editor-in-chief, Devex
- Amal-Lee Amin, Climate Change Director, CDC Group
- Amar Bhattacharya, Senior Fellow at the Global Economy and Development Program, Brookings Institution
- Kumayl Khaleeli, Chief Executive Officer, Zephyr Power
- Hindou Oumarou Ibrahim, President, Association for Indigenous Women and Peoples of Chad
- Michael Igoe, Senior Reporter, Devex
The current COVID-19 pandemic is not only a global health crisis, but a social and economic crisis that has disproportionately affected women by exacerbating already existing and intersecting forms of inequality. The negative economic impact of lockdowns and the decreased demand for goods and services often produced or provided by women are posing a real threat to women’s employment, livelihoods, and economic empowerment.
- Adva Saldinger, Associate Editor, Devex
- Mary Ellen Iskenderian, President and CEO, Women’s World Banking
- Arpita Raksit, Gender Lead, CDC Group
- Anu Madgavkar, Partner, Mumbai McKinsey Global Institute
- Mamoun Tahri Joutei, Head of Economic Intelligence Centre, BMCE Bank of Africa