- Two new CDC Plus funded projects will help enhance action on climate adaptation and resilience in developing and emerging countries.
CDC Group, the UK’s development finance institution (DFI), is pleased to announce two new projects in partnership with the WWF and Climate-KIC, respectively. Both initiatives are funded by CDC Plus, CDC Group’s technical assistance and support facility, and aim to help accelerate action on climate change adaptation and resilience.
CDC’s target markets are among the world’s most vulnerable to physical climate risks. To deliver on our dual mandate it is therefore essential to identify, assess, and manage physical climate risks and accelerate the development of markets for adaptation and resilience solutions.
Our partnership with WWF, the world’s leading independent conservation organisation, will support the enhancement of its Water Risk Filter, a leading online tool for assessing and responding to water risks. Climate change is a key driver of water-related risks, which can have significant negative socio-economic and financial impacts. With the support of CDC Plus, the capabilities of Water Risk Filter will be enhanced to enable companies and investors to assess water-related financial risks under various climate change scenarios and temperature pathways as recommended the Task Force on Climate-related Financial Disclosure (TCFD). The tool will support users to incorporate climate-resilient thinking in their investment decision-making.
Nikolas Stone, Director ESG at CDC Group, said: “CDC is excited to be a lead partner for the enhanced Water Risk Filter tool as it strongly aligns with the adaptation and resilience pillars of our climate strategy. This partnership will help drive greater awareness and action amongst investors and companies on climate-water risk and help set the stage for further collaboration that will promote climate adaptation and resilience across our portfolio and throughout our markets”.
To accelerate the development of markets for adaptation and resilience solutions, CDC Plus is supporting Climate-KIC to integrate an adaptation and resilience ‘lens’ to its ClimateLaunchpad initiative. Known as the world’s largest green business ideas competition, it supports aspiring entrepreneurs in developing their cleantech ideas into scalable businesses. By leveraging its proven platform and reach, the CDC Plus grant will enable the ClimateLaunchpad to scope and boost the entrepreneurial ecosystem needed to foster innovation and capabilities for enhancing the availability of locally relevant adaptation and resilience business solutions.
Chiara Trabacchi, Climate Change Manager at CDC Group, said: “CDC is committed to accelerating private investments in climate adaptation and resilience in Africa and South Asia. Our CDC Plus grant to Climate-KIC’s ClimateLaunchpad further demonstrates how we are strengthening partnerships to develop promising adaptation and resilience ideas into scalable solutions”.
– ENDS –
- CDC Group is the UK’s impact investor with over 70 years of experience of successfully supporting the sustainable, long-term growth of businesses in South Asia and Africa.
- CDC is a leading player in the fight against climate change and a UK champion of the UN’s Sustainable Development Goals – the global blueprint to achieve a better and more sustainable future for us all.
- The company has investments in over 1,200 businesses in emerging economies and a total portfolio value of $6.2bn. This year CDC aims invest $1.75bn in companies in Africa and Asia with a focus on fighting climate change, empowering women and creating new jobs and opportunities for millions of people.
- CDC is funded by the UK government and all proceeds from its investments are reinvested to improve the lives of millions of people in Africa and South Asia.
- CDC’s expertise makes it the perfect partner for private investors looking to devote capital to making a measurable environmental and social impact in countries most in need of investment.
- CDC Plus is the CDC Group’s dedicated technical assistance and support facility. The role of CDC Plus is to support our investees to achieve even more impact by providing technical assistance to make a lasting difference to the lives of underserved groups. Using our experience as an impact investor in emerging markets, we identify and create opportunities that are beyond the scope of returnable capital.
About WWF Water Risk Filter
The WWF Water Risk Filter is a practical online tool that enables companies and investors to explore, assess, value and respond to water risks worldwide. With the comprehensive integration of climate and socio-economic pathway-based scenarios of water risk, the WWF Water Risk Filter 6.0 will enable forward-looking risk assessment that can help evaluate and inform long-term resilience planning and strategy, as recommended by the Task Force on Climate-related Financial Disclosure (TCFD). https://waterriskfilter.panda.org/
WWF is one of the world’s largest and most respected independent conservation organizations, with over 5 million supporters and a global network active in over 100 countries. WWF’s mission is to stop the degradation of the earth’s natural environment and to build a future in which humans live in harmony with nature, by conserving the world’s biological diversity, ensuring that the use of renewable natural resources is sustainable, and promoting the reduction of pollution and wasteful consumption. www.panda.org